Weta Workshop Fantasy Academy in Korea (2017)
Welcome to five-day academy of Weta Workshop
The visual designers from Weta Workshop, the world renowned design & physical effects, visit Gwangmyeong city!
An opportunity to learn contemporary visual design.
Period : 25th September 2017 ~ 29th September 2017
Place : Gwangmyeong Upcycle Art Centre
Lecturer : Daniel Falconer
He has been with Weta Workshop since 1996. He has contributed character, creature, costume and prop designs for The Lord of the Rings, Avatar, King Kong, and The Hobbit etc.
Daniel art directs Weta’s Middle-earth collectibles lines and writes books for the company; including The Art of District Nine, and The Hobbit Chronicles book series.
Special Lecture by Sir Richard Taylor
Great advice given to young aspiring artists by Sir Taylor
Discussion on the submitted works to determine those who will get Weta Internship among the final candidates of Design Contest
– Date: 14:00 ～ 16:00 28th September 2017
– Venue: 1F stage of Gwangmyeong Cave Upcycle Art Center
– Target Audiences: Final candidates (prior notification is given), those
who submitted work to design and short film contest, Weta academy
students and those who want to participate
Weta Workshop Fantasy Academy in Korea (2016)
World famous visual designers from Weta Workshop Visit Gwangmyeong City.
You can meet their knowledges on visual designs at global academy.
The program of 2016 is not yet confirmed.
Weta Workshop Academy in 2015
– Lecturer : Ben Wooten (Concept Designer of LOTR, King Kong etc)
– Lecture Period : Oct. 19, Mon ~ Oct, 23, Fri (4pm~6pm)
– Place : AV room, 1F, Gwangmyeong Upcycling Art Centre
– Language service : Translation
– Applicants : 50
– Apply to : website
– Appication Period : Sep. 1, 2015 ~ Sep. 30, 2015
2. 2015 Five Lectures
# Lecture 1 / Overview of concept design
· What is a concept design?
· The difference between concept art and concept design
· Case study of good design and bad design
· Concept design is a troubleshooter
# Lecture 2 / Research & Brainstorming
· Summary of th problem
· Visual research, how to use mood board (to check the harmony of the colour and texture), reading, collaboration to seek for a solution with colleagues, etc.
# Lecture 3 / The beginning of the design
· shadow management, black and white & coloured, photoshop, description of surroundings, etc.
# Lecture 4 / Cultural desgin – Case study of different projects
· , etc.
# Lecture 5 / Workshop, Design practice by teams (3 ~ 4 hours)
· Participants should bring own personal laptop for the class.